Welcome to the YSBIRT Resource Hub! In addition to the Improving Adolescent Health: Facilitating Change for Excellence in SBIRT change package, we have compiled the following resources to include white papers, fact sheets, toolkits, infographics, and educational materials to support SBIRT implementation and sustainability, as well as general knowledge of adolescent substance use.
General Resources & Tools for SBIRT
- S2BI Tool (Massachusetts Child Psychiatry Access Program, 2015)
- Massachusetts SBIRT & The Bureau of Substance Abuse Services – SBIRT: A Step-by-Step Guide for Screening and Intervening for Unhealthy Alcohol and Other Drug Use
- The Conversation Guide for Delivering a Trauma-Informed Brief Intervention helps healthcare providers deliver a brief intervention for substance use using a trauma-informed approach. Whether providers are well-versed in the SBIRT process, or just looking for an effective way to address substance use concerns with patients, this guide provides practical examples to facilitate that conversation.
- Follow-up Step 4, page 12 of Alcohol Screening & Brief Intervention for Youth: A Practitioners Guide created by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA).
- Learner’s Guide to Adolescent SBIRT. A comprehensive training curriculum which brings together the tools needed to screen adolescents for alcohol and other drug use using validated tools; deliver effective brief interventions using motivational interviewing skills; link adolescents to medical, behavioral or specialty treatment services as needed; work with other health professionals in ongoing care coordination; and provide follow-up and recovery supports to adolescents.
- 60 Second BI
- Frame Works Institute – Framing Adolescent Developing During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Frame Works Institute – A Communications Playbook: Reframing Adolescent Substance Use and Its Prevention
- Conrad N. Hilton Foundation: Youth Substance Use Prevention and Early Intervention Strategies
- RAND Corporation: Step-by-Step Procedures for Proving Screening, Brief Intervention, and Treatment Services to Primary Care Patients with Opioid or Alcohol Use Disorders
- California School-Based Health Alliance – School-Based Health SBIRT Quick Guides
- Conrad N. Hilton Foundation: Integration of Substance Use Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment Into Pediatric Primary Care
- Conversation Guide for Delivering a Trauma-Informed Brief Intervention
- The Communicating for Adolescent SBIRT Implementation Engagement Guide offers primary care agencies resources and tools for communicating the importance and impact of implementing SBIRT for adolescents. The guide includes answers to basic SBIRT questions and recommendations for how to communicate with a range of stakeholders for engagement.
- YSBIRT Clinical Site – Organizational Self-Assessment
- SBIRT Protocol Development Guide
- Youth SBIRT Implementation Checklist
- Messaging Guide for Primary Care Associations The purpose of this document is to provide messaging guidance for Primary Care Associations (PCAs) to engage health centers in the implementation of Youth SBIRT. This guide provides information and messages around the urgent need for national implementation of Youth SBIRT. This document can be shared with health centers for engagement and support of Youth SBIRT or for distribution to health center staff.
- Sterling S, Kline-Simon AH, Jones A, Hartman L, Saba K, Weisner C, Parthasarathy S. Health care use over 3 years after adolescent SBIRT. Pediatrics. 2019; 143(5): doi: 10.1542/peds.2018-2803.
- Barbosa C, Wedehase B, Dunlap L, et al. Start-up costs of SBIRT implementation for adolescents in urban U.S. federally qualified health centers. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2018; 79(3): 447-454. doi: 10.15288%2Fjsad.2018.79.447.
- Ozechowski TJ, Becker SJ, Hogue A. SBIRT-A: adapting SBIRT to maximize developmental fit for adolescents in primary care. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2016; 62:28-37. doi: 10.1016/j.jsat.2015.10.006.
- Levy S. Blown up in smoke: Young adults who vape at greater risk of COVID symptoms. Harvard Health Blog. August 28, 2020.
Resources & Tools for Different Levels of Risk
- Readiness Ruler
- Pledge for Life
- NIH, NIAAA Pocket Guide for Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention for Youth
- Inside the Physician’s Black Bag: Critical Ingredients of Brief Alcohol Interventions
- Paper on teen preferences for clinic-based behavior screens and follow-up article on teens and electronic media
- Motivational Interviewing for Adolescent Substance Use: A Review of the Literature
Resources & Tools for Sustainability
- Ten years of implementing screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT): Lessons Learned
- Mosaic Group’s Adolescent SBIRT Implementation Checklist – Great tips for sustaining your SBIRT practice as an integrated part of care
- Hilton Adolescent SBIRT – Billing & Reimbursement Resources
Promotion & Education Materials
- Community Catalyst: Responding to COVID-19: The Time is NOW to Invest In Young People!
- Child Mind Institute, Center on Addiction, Partnership for Drug Free Kids: Substance Use + Mental Health in Teens and Young Adults
- NIAAA – Order free educational materials about drinking and pregnancy, finding treatment, and mixing alcohol and medication
- NIDA Education Tools – Resources for schools, teachers, and parents to education and talk about substances with teens
- NIDA for Teens and youth
- SBIRT Oregon – Downloadable references sheets and packet cards for adolescent substance use
- UMKC SBIRT Patient Education Posters – Includes downloadable patient education materials about impacts of alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, stimulants, and much more. Available in English and Spanish
- SBIRT Colorado Adolescent Substance Use Pocket Card
- Monitoring the Future – Overview of substance use trends since 1975